Worried About Elder Targeted Scams?
Our La Crosse Elder Law Lawyers Help Protect You
More and more of our Coulee Region elderly neighbors fall victim to unscrupulous con artists every day. At Moen Sheehan Meyer, Ltd, our La Crosse Elder Law lawyers make the most of the seamless working relationships between our practice areas to help protect our valued seniors. Nursing home employees, a dishonest guardian and a rising number of fraudulent companies take advantage of and threaten the financial well-being, dignity and quality of life of our seniors through scams and fraud. If you suspect your parent or loved one is the target of a swindler, contact a La Crosse Elder Law attorney at Moen Sheehan Meyer, Ltd today.
Common Scam Against Our La Crosse Elderly
Any request for monies up-front, bank account numbers or full Social Security numbers is a red flag for fraudulent activity. Once your family member wires or gives away money, or private information, it is gone forever. Heartless and cunning con artists prey on the vulnerability of our seniors with one objective – getting money. Common con games include, but certainly are not limited to the following:
- Ailment remedies and prescription drugs at great price
- Won lottery or sweepstakes
- Inexpensive home repairs
- Cheap land purchases
- “Free” products
- “Bank examiner” or “credit card company” needing help
- “Police officer” or “detective” needing help
- High business investment return
- “Grandchild” needing cash
- E-mails from “IRS” promising tax refund
- E-mails from “financial institution” requesting updated account information
La Crosse Elder Scams Targets
Many seniors trying to replenish loss of any kind often disregard common sense and become victims of smooth talking scam artists. Moen Sheehan Meyer, Ltd has worked to educate and protect our elderly since our inception in 1853 with solid legal advice and planning. Our La Crosse Elder Law lawyers understand the following factors, or combinations of factors, leading to victimization:
- Loneliness, grief
- Sensory impairment
- Limited income
Protecting Our La Crosse Elderly From Scams
- Discuss the subject with your parents or loved ones – Any financial request should go through you or the guardian first
- Review credit card statements regularly – Large purchases, suspicious donations or investments may get noticed in time to catch the culprit and also have the charges reversed
- Look into desired business opportunity investments – A legitimate business is willing to provide lawsuit history, financial statements and proof of earnings
- Appoint a trusted Guardian – Especially important for parents living out of state, the guardian should help go through mail and keep an eye out for suspicious contacts and missing checks
Contact Our La Crosse Elder Law Attorneys
Our Coulee Region elderly have spent a lifetime working for their retirement and the future of their family. Do not allow predators to undermine the financial, emotional and quality of life and well-being your loved one has achieved.
Contact a La Crosse Elder Law attorney at Moen Sheehan Meyer, Ltd today for the personalized attention you and your family deserve to help protect our valued seniors.